2.06.2009

cloth diaper tutorial

This is my very first tutorial, so let me know if you don't understand anything. I got the pattern from http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/diy.php but I did alter the pattern to fit my little girl. She is skinny, with little thighs.

I am using Cotton Flannel outer, Baby Dry hidden waterproof layer (bought at Hancock) and the inner is Butter Suede (bought at Hancock), The soaker is a 13x13 micro fiber towel and 13x13 Butter Suede.

Step 1:Lay your pattern on your fabric and trace it and don't forget to mark for your elastic.














Step 2: Now you have the inner, hidden waterproof, and the outer fabrics all cut out.


Step 3: Cut out your soaker. (Micro Fiber towel and Butter suede) serge or zig-zag around the edges. I chose to serge.

Step 4: Now you have your inner, outer, hidden waterproof, and the soaker.


Step 5: Fasten the soaker to the inner layer only. Now sew it together using straight stitch.


Step 6: Sew the Velcro to the front of the diaper, to the outer and hidden waterproof layer.

*now you have the Velcro on the outer and waterproof layer, and the soaker is attached to the inner layer.

Step 7: Now put your layers together. Lay your inner layer face up (soaker is facing up), lay the outer fabric face down ( picture or patter on the fabric is facing down) and then put the waterproof layer on top (I had the shiny side up)
Sorry I don't have a picture for this one....








Step 8: Sew it together using 0.5 cm seam allowance. Leave the front of the diaper open, this is so that you can turn it around.

Step 9: Sew the elastic into the seam allowance where it is marked. Use straight stitch to tack the elastic down, then stretch the elastic and use a 3 point zig-zag to fasten the elastic to the diaper.

Step 10: Turn the diaper around and topstitch all the way around it, be careful when you are going around the elastic. You will have to widen the seam when you are going around the elastic to make sure you don't sew into it.


I forgot to take a picture when I was topstitching so the black lines is where you want to topstitch.
Step 11: Sew the Velcro on the tabs.

Step 12: Congratulations you have finished sewing the diaper. Now spend a few minutes admiring your work.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it a lot.... great job Eygló

Anonymous said...

Vá, flott! Rosalega góð skrefin hjá þér.

carri-me-away~ said...

You did a great job for your first tutorial~
Way to go!!
Carri from DSD